Prof Ameet Patel is a general surgeon with over 30 years of expertise in hepato-pancreatic, upper GI and bariatric procedures. He is a leading expert in minimal access surgery and laparoscopic procedures.
He qualified in 1985 from St Georges Hospital Medical School, London. After his postgraduate qualifications that included a Master of Surgery (University of London) and a Fellowship of the Royal College of Surgeons, he continued his training in the UK, UCLA (USA) and Australia before being appointed a consultant surgeon at King’s College Hospital NHS Foundation Trust in 1999.
Mr Patel has developed laparoscopic techniques in treating both malignant and benign disease of the liver, pancreas and biliary system.
As an expert in his field, he has performed live link surgery for a number of national and international medical conferences, demonstrating laparoscopic liver resections and laparoscopic pancreatic surgery.
Mr Patel is also a renowned bariatric surgeon, with over 1,000 operations performed, including laparoscopic gastric banding, laparoscopic roux-en-Y gastric bypass, laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy and the laparoscopic duodenal switch as well as revision bariatric procedures.
Mr Patel has written many peer-reviewed papers, is a supervisor to two research fellows and is a Reader in minimal access surgery at King’s College, London.
- Association for Laparoscopic Surgeons
- Association of Surgeons of Great Britain and Ireland
- Association of Upper Gastrointestinal Surgeons of Great Britain
- British Obesity and Metabolic Surgery Society
- European Association for Endoscopic Surgery
- European Hepato-Pancreato-Biliary Association
- International Hepato-Pancreato-Biliary Association
- Royal Society of Medicine
= Alternate weeks
King’s College Hospital NHS Foundation Trust