New Victoria Hospital is a private, charity-owned hospital based in Kingston upon Thames, Surrey and is one of the few remaining independent hospitals in the country. Celebrating its 125-year anniversary this year, it has provided a high level of service to the local community for over a century and is frequently ranked by patients as one of the top private hospitals in London.
New Victoria Hospital has retained a special ethos and atmosphere of community spirit, which is reflected in its charitable origins. The Kingston Victoria Hospital was formed 125 years ago, in 1898, on an area of land adjacent to what is now Kingston Hospital. It soon became known as The Victoria Hospital, operated by local doctors and GPs.
1898: The original Victoria Hospital is created in Kingston-Upon-Thames under the name of Kingston Victoria Hospital.
1951: The original Victoria Hospital joins the NHS, becoming the gynaecology unit of Kingston Hospital.
1953: Frustrated with the lack of free and quality healthcare options available for people in the local Kingston community, a group of local doctors and GPs in Kingston upon Thames decide to fund a hospital to treat private patients.
1954: The local community donate enough to buy Coombe Manor and the Hospital is awarded charitable status. The majority of patients are treated free of charge.
1958: New Victoria Hospital was opened by the Duchess of Sutherland.
1960s: The range of services expanded, and it became apparent that the only way they could be funded would be to charge a commercial rate for the beds. The charitable ethos remained and patients suffering financial hardship were often treated on a pro-bono basis.
1970s and 80s: Colville Wing, Alexandra Wing named after HRH Princess Alexandra, X-ray, physiotherapy areas and new operating theatres are built.
1990s: New Victoria Hospital buys a neighbouring house to provide more parking, a new physiotherapy department and offices.
2001: An imaging department is established providing digital fluoroscopy, mammography, ultrasound, bone densitometry, CT and MRI scanning.
2007: A short spell in private ownership.
2011 – 13: The hospital is bought back by its original charity foundation, The Victoria Foundation, restoring its charitable status. There is an extensive refurbishment of the Colville and Alexandra Wings and the Hospital acquires a state-of-the-art MRI scanner.
2016: The Hospital builds three new operating theatres, an Endoscopy theatre and a Day Surgery Unit, plus a new Imaging Suite with 128 Slice CT Scanner with cardiac diagnostics.
2019: A new entrance and reception area is created, with increased outpatient facilities, including a cardiac diagnostic room, five treatment rooms and 12 consulting rooms. On 11 May 2019, HRH Princess Alexandra officially opens this new wing
2023: New Victoria Hospital celebrates its 125-year anniversary