Dr Janakan Natkunarajah is a full-time Consultant Dermatologist and Clinical Lead at Kingston Hospital with over 15 years of experience. He is the current President (2020 – 2021) of the prestigious St John’s Dermatological Society.
He is the Clinical Lead for 5 dermatology consultants, 2 Nurse Consultants and 4 Specialist Nurses. He was appointed to Kingston Hospital in 2011. He developed the dermatology service at Kingston and Raynes Park Health Centre and Community sites with excellent patient feedback and is involved in Acute Dermatology Management at Kingston Hospital.
He trained at Imperial College London and graduated in 2002, having gained a first-class Neuroscience BSc in 1999. He has had the unique opportunity to have worked in several excellent dermatology units including Amersham Hospital and King's College Hospital. He trained locally on the St George's/St Helier's/Kingston dermatology rotation.
Throughout his training he has won several prizes at the Royal Society of Medicine and the British Association of Dermatologists Annual Conference. He actively teaches dermatology to undergraduates and postgraduates and is involved in GP education with organising a GP skin club at Kingston Hospital.
Dr Natkunarajah is a Fellow of the Royal College of Physicians. He was Educational Supervisor at Kingston for the Dermatology Trainees (2011- 2017).
- Current President St John’s Dermatological Society (2020 – 2021)
- Co-editor Clinical and Experimental Dermatology Journal (2012 – 2017)
- Written a Chapter on the skin effects of Chemotherapy in the ‘World Renowned’ Rook and Textbook of Dermatology 9th edition- 2016
- National Committees: South London British Association of Dermatology Regional Representative (2012-2015)
- National Committee: British Association of Dermatology Drugs & Therapies Guideline Committee (2016 - 2017)
- Chair of South West Thames Regional Dermatology (2013-2017)
- More than 40 Peer reviewed Dermatology Publications
- Won several Prizes at the Royal Society of Medicine and the British Association of Dermatologists Conferences
- Medical Education Award Kingston Hospital 2020 – Best Educator Dermatology
- Involved in digital innovation Kinesis – offering on-line advice and guidance to local GPs
- Awarded Health Education England – South London Charter Mark April 2018 for Educational Excellence for the GPVTS post
- Awarded Annual President’s Dermatological Society Prize 2017 – 2018
- Awarded Clinical Excellence Awards at Kingston Hospital for recognition of his work and contribution to the Trust
- Inspirational Dermatology training at Amersham Hospital, King’s College Hospital with the late Dr E Higgins, St George’s, St Helier and Kingston Hospital
- Involved in GP education – created the GP Skin Club (Kingston)
- Ran the London Marathon 2015 for the British Skin Foundation – raised more than £4000
- General Adult and Paediatric Dermatology
- Acne – Developed Kingston Acne Guidelines – treatments include Roaccutane
- Psoriasis – medical treatments and Phototherapy
- Eczema – medical & topical treatments
- Skin Cancer Diagnosis and management
- Mole screening – using Dermoscopy
- Acute skin rashes
- Drug eruptions