We are pleased to announce the launch of our new Acid Reflux Monitoring Service using a Wireless pH Capsule
Reflux refers to stomach contents (e.g. stomach acid, food) riding up or flowing from the stomach into the oesophagus (food pipe). It is also called gastro-oesophageal reflux disease (GORD). This can lead to unpleasant symptoms of heartburn, regurgitation, chest pain, sore throat, cough, sickness and vomiting.
Acid reflux can lead to inflammation in the oesophagus (oesophagitis) and sometimes cause a condition known as Barrett’s oesophagus.
Causes of acid reflux include:
- Gastroparesis (delayed emptying of the stomach)
- Relaxation of the lower oesophagus sphincter (a muscle valve)
- Hiatus hernia (stomach displacing) into the chest
- Being overweight or obese
- Lifestyle factors (e.g. Diet, alcohol intake, smoking, sleeping habits)
Acid reflux or GORD is usually diagnosed by the clinical symptoms and gastroscopy is an important test to ensure there is no inflammation or changes in the oesophagus lining such as Barrett’s oesophagus.
We can now offer Wireless pH Monitoring which can be used during a routine gastroscopy in order to obtain more accurate objective information regarding acidity levels in the oesophagus and offers significant advantages over nasal catheter pH monitoring.
Wireless pH monitoring in a gastroscopy offers significant advantages including:
- Simple, safe and easy-to-perform
- Well-tolerated and non-invasive (compared with nasal catheter pH monitoring, which can be uncomfortable and visible)
- Better objective analysis and results regarding acid reflux and correlation with patient’s day to day activities and lifestyle factors such as meals and sleeping
- Continued monitoring for 48 hours and up to 96 hours (contrasting with 24-hour ambulatory nasal catheter pH monitoring)
- No follow up catheter removal procedure required
- In-depth analysis can help guide management, eg. If anti-reflux surgery is being considered
Acid Reflux Testing (Wireless pH Monitoring) is offered by Dr Rishi Goel.
For full details of the service see: Acid Reflux Testing (Wireless pH Monitoring)
To make an Outpatient Appointment with Dr Goel for acid reflux monitoring with a Wireless pH Monitor, contact Outpatients on: 020 8949 9020 or complete an online appointment request.