Dr Silvia Carta is a Consultant Obstetrician and Gynaecologist. She completed her medical studies and her higher specialist training in Obstetrics and Gynaecology at the University of Palermo, Italy. She qualified as a doctor in Medicine and Surgery in 2011 and completed her qualification as Specialist in obstetrics and Gynaecology in 2017. Part of her training was undertaken in the UK where she completed two fellowships in two of the busiest tertiary level units in London from 2016 to 2018. In these years, she undertook further advanced training.
Straight after, she started working as consultant at Kingston Hospital, then took another consultant position at Guy's and St Thomas Hospital Before moving back to Kingston Hospital NHS foundation Trust for her substantive NHS position. She currently works at Kingston NHS foundation trust.
During her initial training at Paolo Giaccone University Hospital and at Civico Di Cristina Benfratelli Hospital (Italy) she developed her interest in ultrasound applied to obstetrics and gynaecology and in gynaecological surgery, working closely to specialists in Foetal Medicine, morbidly adherent placenta, endometriosis and gynaecological oncology.
She had the opportunity to do research during her clinical and research fellowship in St Georges Hospital, London tertiary level Centre, where she further specialised in ultrasound diagnosis 2D, 3D. She had the chance to publish her work in peer-reviewed journals and to present and discuss at international congresses.
She also developed her interest in the management of high risk gynaecological and obstetric cases. With her second fellowship at Guys and St Thomas Hospital, London, she deepened her skills and knowledge in the management of complex cases in early pregnancy, acute gynaecology, adnexal masses, endometriosis, pelvic pain, uterine fibroids, endometrial abnormality and abnormal uterine bleeding.
Dr Carta successfully completed RCOG advanced training, Advanced training skills modules (ATSM) in
- Benign gynaecological surgery, open, laparoscopic and hysteroscopic
- Acute gynaecology and early pregnancy
- Advanced labour ward practice
She is member of Royal College of Obstetrics and Gynaecology RCOG, British Society for Gynaecological endoscopy BSGE, International Society of Ultrasound in Obstetrics and Gynaecology ISUOG and Italian Society of obstetric and gynaecological ultrasound SIEOG.
Dr Carta practices general Obstetrics and Gynaecology. Her area of expertise is management of early pregnancy, recurrent miscarriage, acute gynaecology, endometriosis/adenomyosis and pelvic pain, uterine fibroids, endometrial pathology and abnormal uterine bleeding, ovarian masses, pelvic inflammatory disease, advanced ultrasound, ambulatory minor procedure, hysteroscopic investigation and treatment.
Languages: English, Italian, German A2.
- Early pregnancy (up to 17 weeks, excluding nuchal translucency and early anomaly scan)
- Harmony test counselling and viability ultrasound
- Recurrent miscarriage
- Management of miscarriage - Medical, surgical under General anaesthetic (dilatation and curettage) or under local anaesthetic (manual vacuum aspiration ad-hoc only)
- Endometriosis/adenomyosis and pelvic pain (clinical, ultrasound and laparoscopic assessment, medical management)
- Endometrial pathology
- Uterine fibroids
- Period problems, Abnormal uterine bleeding before and after menopause
- Polycystic ovarian syndrome
- Ovarian masses/cysts
- Pelvic inflammatory disease (PID)
- Sexual transmitted infections (STI)
- Premenstrual syndrome (PMS)/Premenstrual dysphoric disorder (PMDD)
- Prolapse assessment and non-surgical management
- Menopause and HRT/HRT alternatives
- Cervical cancer screening (smear test/HPV)
- Woman health check
- Gynaecological Pelvic ultrasound (transabdominal, transvaginal, transrectal; 2D/3D) in one stop clinic (full patient workout in one appointment)
- Ambulatory gynaecological procedures /Minor procedure under local anaesthetic (Mirena and copper coil insertion/removal/replacement, removal of vulva/vagina lesions, Bartholin abscess, vulva/vagina biopsy)
- Outpatient hysteroscopy (diagnostic, endometrial biopsy, polypectomy)
- Surgical procedures under general anaesthetic (Diagnostic hysteroscopy, Hysteroscopic resection of polyp/fibroids, Endometrial ablation, diagnostic laparoscopy, laparoscopic oophorectomy/salpingectomy)